Friday, July 3, 2015

Keeping Christ in Our Countenance

Wow what a week. We definitely have had a roller coaster of events going on here in Portland. We had a zone conference on Wednesday where they put tiwi in our car. It is this device that monitors your speed, seatbelt use, and aggressive driving and then sends it back in a report to the mission president. Then if you get too many strikes you loose your driving privileges. It's not as bad as we were all thinking it would be. Apparently they are putting them in all the domestic missionaries cars. So it was really nice to be able to hear from president speak afterwards. He talked about the importance of the names we have. And since my parents didn't give me any meaning behind my name I am glad I have another name to go by. A missionary for the lord Jesus Christ. When we are baptized we take his name upon us. We covenant or promise every Sunday that we will stand as a witness of Christ in everything that we do. I have been really thinking about this lately. Just how much is Christ in our countenance? Is that something we are striving for? Or are we just letting life take control? It's important to slow down a bit and find time to develop ourselves to be more like Christ through daily scripture study and prayer. It truly makes a huge difference. It helps us to truly develop faith in Him. President Benson said, 
"Faith in Jesus Christ consists of complete reliance on Him. As God, He has infinite power, intelligence, and love. There is no human problem beyond His capacity to solve. Because He descended below all things (see D&C 122:8), He knows how to help us rise above our daily difficulties. Faith in Him means believing that even though we do not understand all things, He does. We, therefore, must look to Him “in every thought; doubt not, fear not.” (D&C 6:36.)" so there is my missionary soapbox for the week :) 

We also took Mia to the temple visitors center on Wednesday. It was so cool. We watched videos about the temple and eternal families. And the sisters were able to walk us around the temple grounds and talk about the symbols on the temple and answer a lot of her questions. It was amazing. I just love the temple! And so did she! It was just a wonderful experience. I love seeing her progression. Man the gospel is so true! 

Arem is doing good, we had a great lesson with him about the plan of salvation and he really likes it. He still is hesitant towards baptism but we are just going to continue teaching him and helping him gain his own testimony. Chris is in the same boat. They just need to truly relent and make that change. Which is why we are here to help them :) 

Jeffery is doing awesome! We talked to him about the plan of salvation and he said it made sense and he really wants to know if it is true. He has been taught for a long time but I just think he hasn't really connected to the missionaries or it hasn't been the right time for him. So that is pretty exciting. 

We have been just trying to teach and find people. Transfers are already here. It's crazy. And it is 6 weeks not four weeks haha. But some cool news, I guess you could say it's cool, I rather think it's terrifying. I am going to train next transfer. So I will find out who my new comp is on Wednesday morning. And then I become senior companion. Ain't no body got time fo dat!!! I just got here!!!! So that's really fun..... 

It's crazy how much the brethren are pushing the basics. I mean that's really what we teach everyone. Just get back to the basics. That is how we build our rock upon Christ. Bishop deathman told us four things to always do after our mission so we stay active. Pray everyday vocally, feast on the scriptures everyday, attend your church meetings, and attend the temple regularly. There are so many people falling away from the church because they forget about the importance of the basics. That's why we are given them!! Because that's what Heavenly Father wants us to do!!! Everyday!! The gospel is too important, and eternal life is too important to take those things casually. 

I love Portland and I love the work. I wouldn't want to be doing anything different with my life right now. It's just the best. Thank you so much for the package!! It was a very nice surprise :) I'm glad everyone is doing good!! And tell Tyler to stop falling into showers and breaking them! Hahahahaah I died when I saw that. I love you all and pray for you everyday!! 

Sister Stephens 
















No comments:

Post a Comment